Students from GW Business and GW Law Offer Free Tax Return Help

Certified volunteers will prepare tax returns until April 16 on a first-come, first-served basis.

March 3, 2023

Tax forms on a table.

photo by Kelly Sikkema on Unsplash

Over 30 student volunteers from the George Washington University School of Business and GW Law are offering free tax return preparation services for qualifying filers in the Foggy Bottom community. 

The tax prep clinic is offered on a first-come, first-served basis from 9:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturdays and Sundays until April 16 at the Crain Center in Duques Hall, located at 2201 G St. NW.

In partnership with the Internal Revenue Service’s Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program, which offers free basic tax return preparation to qualified individuals, GW volunteers will prepare income tax returns for the Foggy Bottom community.

The volunteers have been trained and have passed an IRS certification test. They can help taxpayers file paper or e-filed returns for both federal and state income taxes without charge.

Accountancy professor William Stromsem said the student volunteers are trained to provide quality returns and can help taxpayers take advantage of tax rules they may not know about.

“This is a great clinical experience for students, a feeling of helping others with professional skills, and a resume item that is recognized in both the legal and accounting professions,” Stromsem said. “Most importantly, it is a way to help others receive much-needed income.”

The site offers free tax help to qualifying D.C. residents who need assistance in preparing their tax returns.  GW employees who earn up to $73,000 and students who are no longer dependents of their parents are eligible for the service.  

If you plan to visit, be sure to bring the following items:

  • Income documents such as W-2s and 1099s for various payments to you, such as Social Security or retirement income, state tax refunds, and any investment income. 
  • Payment amounts for child care and the Social Security number or tax identification number for your nanny if you want to claim a child and dependent care credit.
  •  Records of expenses if you had substantial itemized deductions for charitable, medical expenses, taxes and so forth (most clients will use the standard deduction of around $13,000 rather than itemizing).
  • Reports related to student loan interest.
  • Form 1095-A if you acquired health insurance through marketplace sites such as, DC Health Link or Maryland Health Connection. 
  • Form 1098-T if you had college expenses in 2022 such as tuition, fees, books and other mandatory expenses. 
  • A voided check with your bank account and routing numbers for a faster direct deposit refund. 
  • A copy of your 2021 income tax return.