George Washington University Board of Trustees Chair Grace E. Speights, J.D. ’82, announced on Monday the selection of a search firm to assist the Presidential Search Committee and the Board of Trustees.
After an extensive review of materials and interviews, the Presidential Search Committee recommended the team from Education Executives, a highly experienced executive search firm, to assist the university’s search for its 19th president. Education Executives specializes in searches for senior academic leaders for comprehensive research universities. Its prior presidential searches include Johns Hopkins University, MIT, Rice University, and Emory University, among others. The team will be led by Ilene H. Nagel, president and founder, who will be joined by her colleagues John Simon and Charles Kaler.
“The Presidential Search Committee was impressed by Education Executives’ knowledge of, and commitment to, GW,” Search Committee Chair Roslyn Brock said. “Their team has former experience as president, provost, and dean and has a strong track record in presidential searches at major research universities, using innovative approaches. The firm’s extensive academic backgrounds and experience will add value to GW’s presidential search.”
The search firm will assist the Board of Trustees and the Presidential Search Committee by:
- Assisting the Presidential Search Committee in organizing the search process and adhering to its timetable while maintaining flexibility in the process and timetable to secure the best possible candidates.
- After planning and facilitating multiple opportunities for community input and reviewing the future priorities of the Board of Trustees, assisting the Presidential Search Committee in developing a compelling position profile.
- Identifying a highly qualified and diverse pool of potential candidates by:
Identifying candidates based on previous assignments and an extensive network of those able to make sound referrals;
Seeking nominations from the university community and friends of the university; and
Utilizing innovative strategies to bring targeted individuals into the process.
- Managing nominations and applications, including establishing a confidential electronic portal for the committee’s use.
- Organizing and participating in interviews of qualified and appropriately vetted candidates, including providing, when requested, detailed summaries of a candidate’s qualifications, strengths and weaknesses, and assisting in evaluation of candidates on request.
- Conducting thorough personal and professional reference checks.
More information on the presidential search is available here.