The Center for Career Services offers tips ahead of the Feb. 9 Career and Internship Fair.
By Briahnna Brown
George Washington University’s Center for Career Services has several tips for students and alumni attending the Spring 2018 Career and Internship Fair on Feb. 9 in the Charles E. Smith Center.
Amanda Rey, a Center for Career Services industry coach for the fine arts, design, media, communications and public relations sectors, said that preparing for the fair helps put minds at ease and allows participants to make the best use of their time at the fair.
Ms. Rey recommends identifying the top five employers that interest you. Schedule sessions with them from the least to most important. That helps to build self-confidence, which is key in connecting with recruiters. Ms. Rey also said a little empathy goes a long way with recruiters and thanking them for their interest in GW helps to build rapport.
“It’s always better to be prepared, but we’re certainly going to have a prep room there as well to help students with these very things,” Ms. Rey said. “It’s as stressful as you make it, but being prepared helps you be less stressed and helps the person you speak to have a more natural dialogue.”
Additionally, the Center for Career Services offers these five tips on how you can be prepared for the career fair:
- Meet with your career coach by scheduling an appointment in Handshake or coming by during drop-in hours to get advice on how to research employers and how to make a good impression during the fair.
- Watch this clip of recruiters providing tips on about making a good impression at the fair.
- Check out the interview preparation page and also the Center’s Pinterest boards: "Dress for Success: Men" and "Dress for Success: Women" for visual tips, resources and ideas on looking your best when interacting with employers.
- Work on your "professional introduction," also known as an "elevator pitch." Review this worksheet to learn how to clearly, confidently and concisely explain to an employer who you are and why you would be a good fit at their company.
- Come to the Fair Prep Room during the fair, which will be in the auxiliary gym near Student Check-In at the 22nd Street main entrance of the Smith Center. The Prep Room also will have a coat check available.